Saturday, 25 September 2010

Object Of Desire - Wednesday Comics HC


I got quite excited when Wednesday Comics was first announced – the first time I have been excited about a new periodical comic in some time – and bought a copy of the first issue as soon as it came out. I didn’t really understand when Mr Rainey said that he didn’t like it, because I really enjoyed it. However, my interest quickly waned as the weeks went by, to the point where I only ever read the first five or six issues and sold the completed set on eBay without ever reading the final issues (there were twelve in all). The stories were a bit hit and miss but the art was great on pretty much every strip, even though it wasn’t all quite to my taste, and looked really good in a large format. I seem to remember particularly liking the Kamandi strip (Ryan Sook is a great artist), the Paul Pope Adam Strange strip and the Kyle Baker Hawkman strip, while not particularly liking the Teen Titans and Wonder Woman strips. Still, you can’t really expect to like everything in an anthology and there was enough good stuff in here to make it a worthwhile purchase, even if $3.99 per issue was a bit much (I’m afraid I paid full price for these, folks, but it was before we started this value-based blog). My eventual problem with Wednesday Comics, however, was the fact that all the strips were continuing strips. In the first issue, that didn’t bother me so much, because I didn’t have to try and remember what happened in the previous instalment of each one-page strip. After a couple of issues, though, reading this became a real chore, particularly because of the large format, which was a pain in the arse to unfold and re-fold neatly, and it put me off of looking at previous issues again. I wouldn’t have minded so much if only some of the strips were continuing strips, but having all of them continued was a bit much. You would think that the editors would have thought to have put at least one self-contained strip per issue in a comic of this format, wouldn’t you?

So, like I said, I sold my copies of Wednesday Comics on eBay (for less than I paid for them) without reading all of them, but when I saw a copy of the hardcover in a branch of Waterstone’s last week, I started to regret this and have since tentatively added the book to my wants list. Even sealed in plastic, which the copy I saw was, this looked like a lovely book and the strips will no doubt be easier to read in this format. However, it was also £49.99, which is taking the piss (note: I can’t seem to walk past a branch of Waterstone’s without popping in and looking at the graphic novels section but I don’t think I have ever actually bought a graphic novel in a branch of Waterstone’s). Even online, the cheapest copy I have seen was about £27.00, which still seems pricey to me. To be honest, this is something I don’t really need to own, I just want to read it, but it seems unlikely that my local library will get a copy in any time soon. I also think it’s unlikely that I will manage to get a copy on eBay for a bargain price, so I think for now this will have to remain an un-purchased ‘object of desire’.

3 comments:

  1. To clarify, I felt that the majority of contributors to the issue I read weren't using the boundaries of the single page format enough. British comics from the 70s packed a lot in to three, two and one paged strips. The creators here seemed to be writing for the anthology which would be against the spirit of the comic. The art was amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I say 'anthology', I mean the inevitable collection.

    Another great entry, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think most of the creators / creative teams took advantage of the large format to some degree and made the art look as good as possible. Unfortunately, as you say, the actual stories were written to be collected, and the only reason I bought this in the periodical format at all is because I doubted that there would be a collection of this particular comic (which was probably naive of me).

    ReplyDelete