Saturday, 2 October 2010

Object Of Desire - Franken-Castle #21


I have never a big Punisher fan. I loved Garth Ennis’s Punisher Max series, but that’s about as far as it goes for me and Frank Castle. I didn’t even like Ennis’s Marvel Knights Punisher comics that much. However, lately I have found myself with a strange urge to check out Marvel’s current Punisher series, recently re-titled Franken-Castle because Frank Castle has been killed and re-animated as a sort of Frankenstein’s Monster. All of which sounds utterly ridiculous, of course, which is partly why I am interested in checking it out.

I have never read a comic written by Rick Remender before but I hear he is a good writer, which is another reason I want to check this out. I am also interested in seeing how Frank gets out of this mess, as presumably he won’t remain like this for long. I am not proud of the fact that I want to read these comics and I suspect that they won’t be high art, or anything like it. I mean, the whole idea actually sounds really stupid – as if Remender just came up with the Franken-Castle title and then went from there (although I suppose that is just as valid a way to come up with a story idea as any other). I also think that there is a 99.9% chance that I will feel really stupid for buying these comics, if I ever do buy them. However, I really do want to take a look at them at least.

Issue 21 came out this week and features nice looking painted art by Dan Brereton. It also features a whole load of Marvel monsters from the ‘70s: Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Morbius, Man-Thing, etc. Sounds pretty good now, doesn’t it? Admit it: you want to read this, too, don’t you? Oh, okay. It’s just me then. I won’t be paying full price for these comics, of course. That really would be ridiculous. However, unless I suddenly come to my senses, I will be looking out for them ‘on the ration’.

No comments:

Post a Comment