Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Another Review of CLiNT #3


Blimey – it’s CLiNT #3 by Mark Millar, Jonathan Ross, Frankie Boyle and some other less famous / more talented individuals. And the shock news this month is that I don’t really have a great deal to complain about.

Starting with the cover, CLiNT still looks more like a film magazine than a comic but the comics to celebs ratio has improved in favour of comics. Large-ish drawings of Nemesis and Kick Ass mean that this month’s cover is approximately 35% comics to 50% Quentin Tarantino to 15% photos of other celebs (and a zombie). Hopefully, next month’s cover will be at least 50% comics and then maybe an ‘Everybody be cool! This is a comic!’ notice may not be necessary.

Inside, Kick Ass 2 and American Jesus have both begun to pick up steam, although I feel that eight pages of Kick Ass every month isn’t really enough, which is probably why I have only just got into it. Really, the three instalments of Kick Ass 2 we have had so far probably only amount to one whole issue of the Marvel version of Kick Ass 2 and at this rate it will be years before the story ends.

Nemesis is still my favourite strip – although I thought the bit about the rigged womb was stupid – and I’m hoping that we get another full-length instalment of this dumb-but-fun action strip next issue to conclude the story. By next issue, we should hopefully be on to Turf #3, which I haven’t read yet (I had read issues 1 and 2) and that may soon become my favourite strip. I’m still enjoying reading this again anyway, especially now that Jonathan Ross’s writing is a bit less wordy, although I would have been perfectly happy with a vampires versus gangsters story and didn’t really need the addition of aliens, too.

I think I may not bother reading Rex Royd anymore, as I don’t really understand what is going on and I’m bored by Frankie Boyle’s shock tactics. This is now my least favourite strip in the magazine, as this month’s Space Oddities strip (this time presented by Mahatma Gandhi, who can’t threaten them with legal action) is better than the last couple.

The real stars of this comic, of course, are John Romita Jr., Tommy Lee Edwards, and Steve McNiven, whose fantastic art looks even better at this larger size. The art on Rex Royd and on the Space Oddities strip is very good, too, while the art on American Jesus is okay.

My main complaint with previous issues is that the articles have been rubbish but the articles in this issue, while still not great, were mostly improved (although I did spot rather a lot of typos – someone fire the editor!). We get a feature on Quentin Tarantino (which is okay, but I still don’t know what Tarantino’s next project will be), an interesting interview with Matt Berry (from the IT Crowd and Garth Marenghi’s Dark Place), a moderately interesting piece on the stars of popular YouTube videos, Al Murray’s Tour Diary, a short feature on Clint Eastwood, and features on fasting and ‘actors who were fired’, both of which were pointless but okay, I suppose. The ‘Personal Zombie Survival Plan’ bit was weak (isn’t there already a whole book about this sort of thing?), as was the return of ‘Deeply Moral Babes’ (Note to CLiNT: this joke has now been exhausted), but the only feature I actually found offensive this issue was ‘Deeply Questionable’, in which Jimmy Carr asks Doctor Who’s Russell T. Davies if he would rather have the ability to fly or find a cure for aids and then asks if he would rather ‘kill a baby and no one would ever know or a pensioner and everyone would know’.

Overall, I thought this issue was an improvement on the first two issues (the thing that annoyed me most this issue was all the typos) and I hope it sticks around for a bit longer at least. For one thing, I want to finish reading Turf, Nemesis and Kick Ass 2, but next issue also promises a strip written by Stewart Lee, which could be interesting. The promise of a strip written by Jimmy Carr at some unspecified point in the future is more of a concern, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

If CLiNT does intend to stick around for a bit, it might want to do a bit more to promote the fact that Jonathan Ross is writing a strip inside. Until recently, Ross was one of the biggest names on British television and I imagine that quite a lot of people would be interested in checking out what he is up to now. Three issues in, though, and Ross has barely appeared on the cover so far – he doesn’t even get a mention on this issue’s cover – which seems like quite an oversight.

1 comment: