Monday, 1 November 2010

Review; CLiNT 3


It must say something about CLiNT that I now know, three issues in, when to expect a new issue released and where to buy it from (£3.99 from some good and some bad newsagents). It might not always be on the same shelf but I know in which shop to make a start looking for it.

Given the verbosity of Jonathan Ross’s Turf in issue one, it’s a surprise to read an episode with barely any dialogue in it at all. It reads a bit like over compensation. Of the two celebrities, Frankie Boyle is the better comic writer at this stage, I would say. Rex Royd is becoming less impenetrable with each episode although it feels far from that tipping point where I sense that it might actually be good and I should go back and re-read the previous instalments. I’m enjoying watching the both of them improve.

Once again, Space Oddities (the venue for previously unpublished writers and artists) is tucked away at the back. I might not be quite so tempted to perceive this strip as a tokenistic filler if it appeared earlier in the comic without that irritating title banner.

All of the best strips are written by Mark Millar, the highly paid professional. The impact of Kick Ass 2 continues to be dampened by it being a 24 paged US comic split into three for CLiNT. Millar could easily write this as actual eight paged episodes but has chosen not to. I’m not that bothered by American Jesus as I’ve read it before when it was called The Chosen. I now know what the (spoiler alert!) twist is going to be and the journey there isn’t nearly as much fun second time around. Nemesis remains the best strip and the biggest surprise this issue for appearing at its intended 24 paged length. Like most of Millar’s comics, it’s great looking pop-trash. Millar isn’t interested in explaining how Nemesis (spoiler alert!) arranged for hundreds of fast cars to be delivered to the escaped convicts or how the prison (spoiler alert!) blew up. Just as long as it feels good, that’s all that matters.

In the features, Millar embarks on a three sentence long interview with Robert Kirkman and it made me realise how the article editors are missing a trick by not running pieces on The Walking Dead (started out as a comic and is now a TV show) and Red (started out as a comic and is now a film). I would much rather read this than 12 Actors Who Were Fired and Whatever Happened To The Star Wars Kid? Little pop pieces on the upcoming Nemesis movie or what comic Jonathan Ross is writing next seem more appropriate than Millar’s space filling bad jokes.

I’m trying to avoid being one of those cynical comic reader types that plays CLiNT bingo by guessing with which issue it will be cancelled. (The earliest I’ve heard so far is 6). I really want it to succeed. However, it’s interesting that issue three came out the same week of The Dandy re-launch which is, as far as I can see, more successfully what CLiNT claims to be than CLiNT is itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment