Tuesday, 14 December 2010

Object of Desire - Daredevil: The Devil's Hand TPB


I would like to take a moment here to congratulate Marvel Comics on ruining Daredevil, which had been, for quite a few years, their very best title. It was certainly one of my favourite comics. I loved Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev’s run on the title (I really must re-read that sometime) and Ed Brubaker’s run was pretty good, too. Best of all, both runs were free from the taint of Marvel’s many crossovers. I mean, there was a ‘Nuff Said issue early on in Bendis’s run, but that hardly counts as a crossover event, and stuff like House of M, Civil War and Secret Invasion didn’t make so much as a dent in the title, even though two of those events were written by Bendis. I guess it couldn’t last, though, and recently DD was hit by the ‘Shadowland’ event, which has almost killed my interest in the title.

‘Shadowland’ was a five issue, Daredevil-led mini-series which crossed over with various Marvel comics, including Daredevil. I haven’t read it and don’t really know what happens in it, but I do know that it isn’t supposed to be very good. It also brought major changes to Daredevil’s life, and pretty soon the monthly Daredevil title will be changing its name to ‘Black Panther: The Man Without Fear’, which doesn’t sound very promising at all.

Under normal circumstances, I would just call it a day, be grateful for the good issues I did get to read and move on to something else. The thing is, though, I’m a big Daredevil fan, and I’m tempted to buy this volume – the first volume by new writer Andy Diggle – just to see what it is like. Part of the problem, I think, is that both Bendis and Brubaker are incapable of ending a story (see pretty much everything Bendis has ever written and Brubaker’s Captain America run for further details), so this book follows on from Brubaker’s run, which itself followed on from the end of Bendis’s run, and I feel almost obliged to check this out and see what happens next, even if it does lead into ‘Shadowland’. I own rather a lot of Daredevil graphic novels and have a long run of Daredevil comics, so this would have to be really bad for me not to want to own it at all.

Still, I’m not prepared to pay the full £14.99 cover price for this – it only collects six comics! – or even the current Amazon price of £9.50. Instead, I will be looking out for a cheap copy on eBay and will let you know how much it sucks when I get a copy.

4 comments:

  1. I have very similar feeling about Daredevil. Since Captain Britain finished it was pretty much the only Marvel book I still collected (though now I'm enjoying the Hawkeye 'n' Mockingbird stuff) and even that only in trade.

    I do own this, I loyally bought it as soon as it came out from my LCS and read it straight away (no sitting in read piles for Daredevil) The terrible thing is I really can't remember much about it after only a few months. Now I know my memory is a bit shoddy these days but even by those standards that's pretty poor. I know it had significant events in it and a bunch of ninja's (is the plural of ninjas an overused of ninjas?) and the art was not to my tastes but nah not much aside from that. Neither good nor bad just horribly forgettable and once again with an almighty cliffhanger.

    The trouble is I know I'm going to get Shadowland, 'cos I know I'm going to get the Black Panther stuff cos I love Francesco Francavilla's art and I want to support his step into the mainstream.

    Bah the comic book industry must love suckers like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was happy to give up reading DD once Brubakers run finished. Strangely I have no desire for this at all, especially since learning of the cross over event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would have carried on buying Daredevil whoever was writing it if it weren't for the Shadowland crossover. I think I would have even bought a copy of the Shadowland TPB at some point, just to see what happens. However, replacing DD as the main character in his own book was the final straw for me, and I have zero interest in reading Black Panther: The Man Without Fear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got nothing against the Black Panther - I always fancied reading that BP comic that started about same time Daredevil relaunched at Marvel Knights - I just don't understand why anyone at Marvel thought making BP the guardian of Hell's Kitchen and dropping DD from his own book was a good idea. Of course, I realise that DD will be back at some point, I just don't think I can be bothered to stick around until his inevitable return.

    ReplyDelete