Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Objects of Desire; Trains Are... Mint


I have a copy of the first issue of Trains Are… Mint from back when creator Oliver East serialised his walks as actual reality comics. It’s a lovely object. Lavishly produced and yet, still clearly from the small press collective. It was impossible to imagine then that he would go on to design the sleeve to Elbow’s Mercury award winning album The Seldom Seen Kid or have collections released to critical applause. This wasn’t because I underestimated how good Oliver’s comic was, it was more due to there being so many strong small press creators out there. He felt like one more great artist working in an isolated area inside an under estimated art form to me.

This book has been out and on my list for a couple of years now along with his more recent Proper Go Well High and Berlin And That. Amazon has copies available for £11.69 but even at retail, £12.99, it seems reasonable even on my tiny income. In fact, the only reason I don’t have a copy is I’m waiting for my to-read pile to drop down to a manageable level before ordering more books from my List of Desires which, now that I’ve said it, sounds pathetic. I really need to get my arse in gear, especially when I consider that everything I’ve read from the book’s publisher Blank Slate so far has been of great value.

No comments:

Post a Comment