Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Review - The Complete Ouija Interviews


This nice little book collects several mini-comics by Sarah Becan which purport to illustrate ‘real’ Ouija interviews conducted by her brother, Jeff, who also writes the introduction to this volume. It’s simply drawn – there is just one panel per page and the illustrations for each interview are all very similar, with the characters only moving slightly between pages – but also well drawn. I have never read an issue of Lenore, by Roman Dirge, but the art style reminds me of what I have seen of those comics (mainly just the covers) and no doubt this would appeal to a similar audience. It is, by turns, sweet, creepy, and amusing. It is also a very quick read. I didn’t love this but I did quite like it and I probably would have liked it more if I believed in this sort of thing, which I don’t.

I picked this up in Isotope Comics in San Francisco – signed and sketched in by the artist, which I didn’t realise until after I had bought it – on a recent holiday in California, just because I liked the look of it. It cost $10.00. I don’t regret buying it but I’m not sure that I would buy it over again. I might, however, buy a copy as a gift for a non-comic-reading friend or relative, as I think the sort of people who are into the Twilight books or those Tim Burton books would like this a lot and I am confident that this is the sort of thing that could sell a lot of books, if given the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment