Sunday, 12 December 2010

Review - Fight or Run: Shadow of the Chopper


Speaking of Kevin Huizenga, which I was the other day, I found this a few days ago, buried under a pile of books, still unread even though I bought it when it came out back in 2008. According to the back cover, ‘Fight or Run’ is an open source comics game, and this mostly silent comic reads just like a game. In ‘Fight or Run: Shadow of the Chopper’ a cast of unusual characters – ‘Chopper’, ‘Kid Cocktail’, ‘Seven Seas’, ‘Kid President’, ‘#1 Song’, ‘Bride To Be’, ‘Taxpayer’, ‘Pronouncement’, ‘Make A Wish’, ‘McSkulls’, and more – square off against each other and have to decide whether to fight or run, with the winner of each increasingly bizarre confrontation declared on the last panel of each strip. It’s very simply drawn but also quite complex and difficult to follow in places. It’s far from essential reading – and I say this as a Kevin Huizenga fan – but it does reward repeated readings, it is fun and I suspect that Huizenga had even more fun drawing it.

Cost: This has a cover price of $3.95, so I guess I paid something like £3.00 for it, but I can’t remember now because, like I said, I bought it in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment