Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Review - Seaguy TPB


This is an odd thing: a deliberately surreal, Vertigo-published graphic novel, written by Grant Morrison, that made more sense to me than most of Morrison’s mainstream super-hero comics do. As I have said before on this blog, I have only recently started to get Grant Morrison, whose work I always used to dismiss as incomprehensible. I still think a lot of his stuff is incomprehensible but I discovered last year that some of his stuff is actually rather good, too, and went on a bit of a Grant Morrison spending spree after reading and enjoying most of his Batman run. I bought and enjoyed all of his Animal Man and Doom Patrol stuff, although I’d be lying if I said that I understood it all, but then I read the Invisibles and didn’t enjoy or understand it much at all and it has taken me months to pluck up the courage try and read a few more Grant Morrison books, like Seaguy.

This book is about a super-hero called Seaguy (of course) who lives in a dreamlike world where super-heroes are quite unnecessary because there is no crime since all the heroes defeated the ‘Anti-Dad’. Seaguy hangs out with his pal Chubby Da Choona (a talking tuna who doesn’t like water), watches a lot of TV, and plays chess with a colour-blind Death. He craves adventure and wants to win the heart of She-Beard, a Red Sonja-type (with a beard) who will only give herself utterly to a man who shows her courage. On a visit to the Mickey Eye adventure park – Mickey Eye being a Mickey Mouse-like cartoon character who looks like a giant eyeball with arms and legs – he finally gets to experience the adventure he craves after eating and regurgitating a sentient foodstuff called Xoo, which begs for his protection. After fleeing the staff at the Mickey Eye adventure park, Seaguy’s adventures take him to Easter Island, the chocolate-coated Arctic, and Atlantis (where Chubby has an encounter with some mechanical wasps). Finally, he discovers the secret origin of the Moon and we discover that Seaguy’s world (and the Mickey Eye corporation) isn’t quite as innocent as it seems.

This has great art by Cameron Stewart – whose work here reminds me a lot of the work of Darick Robertson, only much slicker – and for the most part it’s a lot of fun (with sinister undertones). I didn’t completely get the ending but there is a second Seaguy series in which things will hopefully be made clearer, although that doesn’t appear to be out in TPB form yet, even though the series finished in 2009, and the individual comics look to be pretty scarce. This particular book, which collects three comics, has a cover price of $9.95. It seems to be out of print at the moment but I managed to get my copy on eBay last summer for £7.70 (including postage) and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know what happened to the second series - DC seem reluctant to release a collection even though the comic itself finished ages ago. You'd think there'd be more Morrison fans waiting to buy it in trade (like me) than still picking up individual issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know that second series existed until a couple of hours ago but I was very surprised to read that it still hadn't been collected, considering how popular Morrison is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the second series for 50p each. Nur nur na-nur nur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll give you 60p each for them.

    ReplyDelete