Sunday, 15 May 2011

Fear Itself #2


Breakin’ the law, breakin’ the law!  Yes, I’m breaking blog rules again to bring you a review of Fear Itself #2, which I bought on eBay, from seller Trusevich, for £2.50.  That’s more than twice the maximum price (£1.20) I am allowed to pay for any comic published by a publisher with a Diamond-exclusive distribution deal, but as that £2.50 included postage and this $3.99 comic would have cost me over £3.00 if I’d bought it in my local comic shop, I don’t think that price was that unreasonable (it was certainly the cheapest copy available on eBay when I bought it).  So, if you don’t tell anyone I broke the rules, I won’t, and once Fear Itself is over and done with, we can go back to business as usual.  Deal?
Anyway, in the last issue of Fear Itself, the Asgardian gods, led by Odin, withdrew from their home on Earth and returned to Asgard after the Red Skull’s daughter, Sin, was transformed into someone called Skadi by a mystical hammer and released her ‘father’ – not the Red Skull but someone calling himself 'the Serpent' – from his tomb at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.  From there, the Serpent sent out several more hammers to summon ‘the Worthy’, and this issue deals mostly with the summoning of some of the Worthy.  Basically, several major Marvel characters – one of them one of Marvel’s biggest heroes, another one of the X-Men’s greatest foes – pick up hammers and are transformed into heralds of the Serpent. 

I find myself with very little to say about this issue, as apart from a small segment at the beginning of the comic set on Asgard – which has seen better days – and a small segment at the end of the comic where Sin launches a Nazi-themed assault on Washington DC, the summoning of the Worthy was about all that happened in this issue and the whole thing read very quickly.  We only got to witness three actual transformations, it looks like another transformation may have already taken place in another comic – unless writer Matt Fraction thought that one panel dedicated to that character in this comic was enough – and two of the more interesting transformations look like they will be taking place in Iron Man comics.  This is rather annoying but I guess this sort of thing is to be expected in a crossover event, and apart from that, I don’t really have any major complaints.  The writing seems strong and Stuart Immonen’s art, as usual, is very, very good.  I may not have enjoyed this issue as much as I enjoyed the first issue but I’m still quite intrigued by the story and, as a long-term Thing fan, the fact that the next issue is titled ‘The Hammer That Fell On Yancy Street’ guarantees that I will be back for more next month.

2 comments:

  1. If I were writing this comic I would have somebody say, "You need a big hammer if you've got a big nail."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have the whole thing set to the tune of "If I had a hammer".

    I read this the other day, and felt pretty much the same as you. Not as strong as #1, but intriguing / exciting enough to keep me reading.

    ReplyDelete