Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Jonah Hex: No Way Back HC

This Jonah Hex original graphic novel is written by current Jonah Hex writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti and illustrated by Jonah Hex co-creator Tony DeZuniga.  The story is the sort of thing that we’ve seen a million times before in Jonah Hex comics – Hex defending a town full of cowardly, unarmed innocents from bandits – but here he is also briefly reunited with his mother, who abandoned him to his cruel father as a child, and discovers that he has a half-brother who is a priest.  It’s a decent story, and just as good as an average issue of the current Jonah Hex series.  Unfortunately, Tony DeZuniga’s art has seen much better days.  I’m not going to complain about it too much, as DeZuniga is about 70 years old now and I love to see the old guys getting work - plus it’s not like the art was terrible, just a bit messy and hurried-looking - but it did drag the story down a bit, in my opinion.  Still, while this book is no classic, I enjoyed reading it while I was reading it and didn’t pay much for it at all.
This hardcover edition has a recommended retail price of £14.99 / $19.99.  You can get it from online for nearer £10.00 but I got my copy as part of a pretty great eBay win, which included this book, the first six trade paperbacks collecting the current JH series, all eighteen issues of that Hex series from the 1980s, where JH got sent to the future, plus eight more JH comics, for £25.00 (including postage).  Bingo!       

5 comments:

  1. Bargain! Maybe the seller saw the Jonah Hex movie and decided he wanted nothing more to do with the character...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a Buy-It-Now deal, too, not an auction win, so the seller had actually decided that this lot was only worth £20 (plus £5.00 postage - but it must have cost him a lot more than that as he sent them by courier and I got them within 24 hours of paying).

    I saw the Jonah Hex movie on a plane last year. I couldn't hear most of it as we were sitting near the engines but I didn't think it seemed that bad, despite the stupid changes to the character they made, and I wouldn't mind watching it again. (Note: I actually turned off Iron Man 2 after 10 minutes and watched Jonah Hex instead - my judgement may have been impaired that day.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been away so sorry for the tardy reply to this (if anybody notices?). Anyway I love me some Jonah, heck I even have that 18 issue in the future run (though its going to be cleared out in my attempt to downsize my collection) and I was so excited to see this was coming out. When I got it however I was so uninspired. It felt like just another issue of the comic. Not in itself a bad thing as I love the regular book (and its the one comic my wife reads regularly) but when you get a hardcover OGN you expect something special. Don't really know why I did but there you go. So a pretty good JH story felt like a pretty big let down. Entirely due to my unreasonable expectations but hey the Taylor household pouted over this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There'll be plenty more Jonah Hex reviews where this one came from, as I now have all the TPBs, right up to date, as well as that future Hex run - which I can't wait to read, even though I'm sure it'll be rubbish. I even have a copy of the Showcase Presents JH book sitting in my read pile. I may have to space out the reviews a bit, to stop this turning into a JH blog. Your wife sounds impressive. The last comic my wife read was Y The Last Man. She moaned about every volume but always wanted to read the next one, so she can't have hated it that much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, the last comic my wife read was probably Watchmen, around the time the film came out. She wasn't particularly impressed.

    ReplyDelete