Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Fear Itself #4



I am starting to feel like a bit of a prick for breaking blog rules to buy this series now, as most of the action really does seem to be taking place in other comics and this main series seems like little more than a well-drawn teaser for the tie-in comics.  Under normal circumstances, I would just stop buying this now, but I went and asked the bloke in my local comic shop – the Grinning Demon in Maidstone – to reserve the remaining three issues of the series for me, and he is so bloody friendly that I just can’t bring myself to cancel the order.  The last time I went in there, intending to just pick up this and have a look through the 50p boxes, I ended up paying £20 for the latest Locke & Key HC, which has a recommended retail price of £18.99 and is currently only £11.93 on Amazon.  Yes, that’s right: I actually paid £1.01 more than the RRP, and £8.07 more than the current Amazon price, just because I saw a book I really wanted sitting on a shelf in front of me and, after chatting to a friendly bloke about comics for half an hour or so, felt like supporting my LCS for a change.  On the ration, indeed. 

I should point out that I haven’t completely lost it.  I still can’t seem to walk past a charity shop without popping inside for a look, the 50p boxes and reduced GNs are still the first thing I look at in any comic shop, and I still occasionally go to extraordinary lengths to get stuff cheap.  A couple of months ago, I spent £400 on a collection of 110 Marvel graphic novels, kept back 29 for myself, and have been slowly flogging off all the stuff I didn’t want since then, in an effort to make my money back (so far, I have made back £388.97, which means that the 29 books I kept for myself only cost me £11.03 – unless you put a price on all the time I wasted selling off the stuff I didn’t want, which you probably should – and I still have a few books left to sell), and this coming weekend I am going to view a large comic collection my sister tipped me off about after meeting someone at a car boot sale (Top Tip: Buy in bulk and save £££!).  I am still a stingy bastard, and still have an eye for a bargain, but from time to time I still do stupid things like paying full cover price for a Marvel event comic, or paying more than the RRP for a book I could have got a lot cheaper online – which seems especially stupid when you consider that I am currently unemployed.  I really must try harder.   

I will honour my commitment to my local comic shop and will buy the copies of the last three issues of this series that I reserved.  I may even buy other stuff while I’m in there, but I will try my best to stick to the bargain boxes from now on.  I probably won’t be reviewing the rest of Fear Itself, partly because I’m not getting it on the ration, but also because I don't think I am going to have much more to say about it.  I think I paid £3.30 for #4, and like I said, I feel like a prick for buying it.

6 comments:

  1. Personally, I think if you're going to buy the rest of the series you should be reviewing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might just save them up and review the last three issues in one go - if I do keep buying them - but I really can't be bothered to keep reviewing them individually. Sorry, boss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm very disappointed. Part of this is your punishment so you never do anything like this again. Shame on you. I'll let you off if you cancel the SO for the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still buying it too, though it's not the book I wanted it to be. Glad you've almost made that £400 back. This post makes me feel a little better about the next one I'm going to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the plug.. though I'm cool with the dropping of last issues. Fear Itself started well, but has sucked from midway through issue 2. Plus so much is going on in the other Marvel titles, you never feel like you're getting the full picture

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Grinning Demon. I just found your comment in the spam folder waiting to be approved. Sorry I didn't notice it sooner. If I ever get a job, I will visit your shop more often and buy stuff!

    ReplyDelete