Saturday, 10 September 2011

The Invincible Iron Man - Unmasked



At our now legendary 'Comics - On The Ration' panel at Caption, Paul mentioned that 'The Works' was a good place to look for cheap trades, whilst Rol mentioned that Panini's pocket books were bargain collections.

Last weekend, these two coalesced for me when I popped into a branch of the aforementioned bargain bookstore and discovered a collection of pocket books at the price of £1.99 each or 3 for a fiver.

Naturally, I ignored the collections of modern stuff, which is why I'm reviewing a collection of Iron Man from, oh, 1968, or thereabouts. This book collects around ten issues from this era, written by Archie Goodwin and drawn by George Tuska.

The stories are nothing special - identikit Marvel fare in which Tony Stark wrestles with the guilt of having a secret identity and how he wants to share his secret with somebody but he can't so he ends up pushing them away whilst he really wants to pull them closer yada yada yada.

However, I've never really been a fan of George Tuska before but that may be because I've only been exposed to the odd issue of his work here or there. His is a crisp cartoony style which reminds me of Frank Robbins, but it's one that lends a charm to Shellhead's Rogues Gallery, and is the major appeal of this book.

Is it value for money? Well, it's probably value for money at £3.99. I paid £1.66 so it would be churlish to grumble.




3 comments:

  1. I cracked and bought two X-Men PBs and a Spider-Man. Then, like a fool, I came home and ordered earlier books in the series to complete the sets. What an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew to love Tuska's art while reading Essential Iron Man collections recently. I was never a fan as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George Tuska is a fresh name for me. who is he?

    Sig: Andrew@spa uniforms

    ReplyDelete