Sunday, 25 September 2011

Severed 1 & 2



Severed is a new horror series written by Scott Snyder and Scott Tuft, illustrated by Attila Futaki, and published by Image.  I have no idea who Scott Tuft and Attila Futaki are but Scott Snyder is the bloke who currently writes American Vampire, Swamp Thing and Batman, and this has received some very good reviews so far so I thought I’d check it out.

The story starts in the 1950s, with a one-armed old man called Jack Garron receiving a letter that prompts him to start recalling the story of how he lost his arm.  This takes us back to 1916, where the 12-year-old Jack Garron, a promising violinist, runs away from home and hops aboard a freight train headed for Chicago, hoping to be reunited with his musician father, who abandoned him when he was a baby.  Meanwhile, a creepy old man with razor sharp teeth, who claims to represent General Electric, takes another boy from an orphanage under the pretence of an apprenticeship, and then eats him.  Blimey.

The story unfolds at quite a leisurely pace.  By the end of the second issue, Jack still hasn’t encountered the razor-toothed man – or his father – but it seems inevitable that their paths will collide eventually and I think I’m interested enough to stick around for a bit.  I certainly want to know more about the razor-toothed man, even if Jack’s part of the story hasn’t completely grabbed me yet.  The writing and the art are both very good, but not so good that I am going to rave about either just yet.  I feel like this could develop into something, though.  The disturbing covers to both issues certainly indicate that there is something more to the razor-toothed man than sharp teeth (and some weird tattoos).  I want to know what that something is, so I will definitely give this at least one more issue, and am pretty sure that I will stick with it for a while.

Cost: These have a cover price of $2.99 each.  I downloaded #1 from Comixology and paid $1.99.  If I’d waited a bit, I could have got #2 for $1.99, too, but I got impatient (and a bit drunk) and downloaded it the day it came out for $2.99.

4 comments:

  1. The secret of Comixology's success - Drunk, middle-aged comic fans looking for a use for their modern technology. Thanks for the review, Robster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, less of the middle-aged, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Either you're getting drunk a lot these days or that was one mammoth download session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may or may not be getting drunk a lot these days, but all this stuff was downloaded in one session, and that's the last of it now.

    ReplyDelete