Friday, 13 January 2012

Scalped Vol.8: You Gotta Sin To Get Saved TPB


‘You Gotta Sin To Get Saved’ collects Scalped issues 43 to 49 by writer Jason Aaron, artist R.M. Guéra and guest artists Jason LaTour and Davide Furnò, and it’s another great volume.  It took me a couple of issues to get back into the series, partly because a good few months have passed since I read the last volume and my memory ain’t so good – which is one reason I usually can’t be bothered to collect periodical comics – and partly because the first two issues reprinted in this volume told relatively self-contained stories about relatively minor, unlikable characters, but once the ‘You Gotta Sin To Get Saved’ storyline that made up the rest of the book got going, I was hooked. 

In this volume, the complex characters that Jason Aaron has created become even more sympathetic, particularly, and most surprisingly, the supposed villain of the piece: chief of the Prairie Rose Indian Reservation / crime boss Lincoln Red Crow.  Meanwhile, our hero, undercover FBI agent Dashiell Bad Horse, is involved in a bloody shoot-out with the man who killed his mother at the end of the first volume, and still doesn’t realise that this is the man who killed his mother. 

I literally found myself perched on the edge of my seat as I got nearer the end of this book, as the atmosphere got more and more tense – particularly during the build-up to the shoot-out in the final issue reprinted here – and I really didn’t want it to end.  Frustratingly, when it did end, nothing was really resolved, but as this series is set to end at #60 – just one or (more likely) two more volumes to go now – most characters had taken at least a few more steps towards their places in the grand finale. 

Although R.M. Guéra is clearly a very good artist, I found his style far too murky when I first started following this series, but it’s a style that’s really grown on me and he produces some great work in this volume, from raindrops on a spider’s web to one creepy-looking horse (a bad horse?).  And there's some great work from the guest artists, too!  I still think that Davide Furnò's art looks like some old John Buscema drawings inked over with a marker pen, but it's a look that I am very fond of and I'd really like to see more of his work.

Personally, I can’t wait to see how this series ends and can’t wait until I can read the whole thing in one go.  Bring on the final volume(s)!

Cost: This has a (Titan Books) cover price of £14.99 but you can get it online at the moment for under £9.00.  My copy was a Christmas present, so it didn’t cost me a penny.  Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment