Thursday, 19 January 2012

Whispers #1


Whispers is a new series by Joshua Luna, who is one half of the Luna Brothers, the team behind series such as Ultra, Girls, and The Sword.  Joshua was the writing half of the Luna Brothers, with art duties on the aforementioned titles falling to Jonathan Luna, but it turns out that Joshua is a very good artist, too.  In fact, his art here looks like a lot like his brother’s, but with a touch of Daniel Clowes added for good measure.  It appears to have been shot from the pencils – not inked – which is a look that doesn’t always work for me, especially on colour comics, but here it looks really effective. 

The story is about a young man suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder, who finds that he can leave his body in ghost form while he sleeps and visit people he knows.  They can’t see or hear him, but he is able to influence their thoughts to some degree by talking to them.  Joshua Luna’s stories often remind me of the novels of Stephen King, in that the basic idea can sound a bit naff, maybe even unoriginal, but the execution turns them into something special.  They are full of witty dialogue, too, which goes a long way with me.  And unlike most other modern writers, he writes great periodical comics that usually end on a cliff-hanger of some kind and leave me desperate for the next issue.

Compared to Luna’s previous comics, the ending to this comic was quite subdued – naked girls from outer space didn’t beat anyone to death and nobody got their jaw punched off – but it did intrigue me enough to make me want to come back for more.  I really enjoyed Girls and The Sword (I have a copy of Ultra in my reading pile at the moment) and I think I am going to enjoy this series, too.

Cost: I didn’t get this ‘on the ration’ at all.  It has a cover price of $2.99 and that’s what I paid when downloaded it from Comixology.  I probably would have been able to get it cheaper if I’d waited a few weeks, but I was keen to check it out.  If I buy any future issues, I will wait until they fall in price to at least $1.99, but I’ll probably just wait until the first TPB comes out and buy a copy of that instead.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this first issue. And I'll definitely want to read more.

    By the way, in case you want to check it out I wrote a review about Whispers' first issue on my blog: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

    Feel free to read it and leave me a comment.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete